- In the DM world, the UK and Sweden had a 2% increase in cases. Others barely saw any increases. On deaths, Sweden also saw a 2% increase as well as Japan. Spain saw a 1% increase after yesterday’s surprising drop of 7% – an artefact of Monday’s revised numbers on Covid related deaths.
- The EM world sees larger changes. In terms of cases, increases are smaller than usual and only Latam economies recorded 5% increases. All other countries recorded values under 4%. On deaths, Nigeria and Mexico recorded 7% increases. The leader is South Africa which yesterday saw a 9% increase. The country is one of the most affected by the global lack of reagents for testing. There is, however, progress in this area as University of Warwick researchers recently announced the development of some DIY reagents, the effectiveness of which was confirmed by UK hospital laboratories.
- Looking at which countries are at peak waves, we find the following:
○ In DM, Sweden and Canada remain the only countries that stand out from large numbers in both levels and percentage changes. Almost all other countries are in the declining wave quadrant.
○ In EM, we still have major Latam, Asian, and African economies in the peak wave. More than half of the countries we track are in this position. In terms of a new wave, Iran and Malaysia show signs from the perspective of both levels and percentage changes.