- In the DM world, we have Sweden with a 2% increase in cases while other countries saw minimal increases. On deaths, New Zealand saw a 5% increase, but that reflects just one death which pushed the total to just 22 fatalities. New Zealand also discharged its last coronavirus patient from hospital yesterday and has recorded no new cases in the last five days. The US, Canada, and Sweden recorded a 2% increase in deaths while elsewhere deaths barely increased.
- In EM, South Africa leads on cases with a 7% increase, reaching a total of 24,300. This makes it the most affected country on the African continent. It is followed by Egypt which saw a 5% increase and has reached 18,800 cases. The 5% increase is also shared with Nigeria, almost all Latam economies, and India. On deaths, Mexico leads today with a 6% increase and yesterday was the first time the country recorded more than 500 deaths in a single day. It is followed by South Africa at 5%, while India, Indonesia, Russia, Brazil, and Chile recorded 4%.
- Looking at which countries are at peak waves, we find the following:
○ In DM, all countries are now in either post-peak or declining wave. Sweden and Canada currently remain the most affected based on our metrics.
○ In EM, Latam countries remain in the peak wave, along with some EMEA countries plus South Africa. Iran continues its new wave journey while Poland shows signs it may head there as well. China, Hong Kong and Taiwan are top in the declining wave.