• In the DM world, no major increases in cases or deaths, except for Japan, which saw a 3% increase in deaths. However, the Economy Minister feels confident the nation is on a path towards containing the virus.
• The EM world saw larger changes. Chile saw an 8% increase in cases. The country is also suffering from protests about food shortages and job losses. India, Egypt, and Brazil saw 6% increases. On deaths, South Africa experienced a 9% jump. Its most affected area is Western Cape Province, home to Cape Town and country’s tourism hub with 10,639 cases and 187 deaths. Next was Brazil with a 7% increase and Mexico and Chile with 6% figure.
• Looking at which countries are at peak waves, we find the following:
○ In DM, Portugal, Sweden, Canada, and US remain in their peak waves (high level of cases and deaths). While Iceland, Norway, Greece, Switzerland, Spain, and Italy are in the low cases and deaths quadrant. Austria saw a jump in cases over the past week, so is worth monitoring for a second wave
○ In EM, there is a much larger group of countries in their peak waves including Brazil, Mexico, India and Russia. Meanwhile many Asian countries (China, Korea, HK) are in the best quadrant (low cases and deaths). As for potential second wavers, we have Singapore (high level of cases) and possibly Korea (big recent % jump in cases).
For access to our Slack Chat Room, where we discuss all things markets with our researchers and subscribers