In this episode, I talk with Saeed Amen. He is the founder of Cuemacro, which provides investors with quant research and analysis. Over the past fifteen years, Saeed has developed systematic trading strategies at major investment banks, including Lehman Brothers and Nomura. He is also the author of “Trading Thalesians: What the ancient world can teach us about trading today” and is the coauthor of “The Book of Alternative Data”. He is also a visiting lecturer at Queen Mary University of London. In this podcast we discuss:
1. Types of trading models, including trend-following and carry
2. How to design good trading models
3. Avoiding data mining
4. Whether certain strategies are becoming too crowded
5. Why trend-following models have underperformed
6. Examples of alpha models like trading month-end flows
7. Importance of reducing transaction costs
8. Types of alternative data
9. How to use news data
10. The non-technical challenges of using alternative data
11. Why Python is an important complement to Excel
You can get more details on Saeed’s work here and his book is available here.
(The commentary contained in the above article does not constitute an offer or a solicitation, or a recommendation to implement or liquidate an investment or to carry out any other transaction. It should not be used as a basis for any investment decision or other decision. Any investment decision should be based on appropriate professional advice specific to your needs.)
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.