Macro Hive Conversations With Bilal Hafeez
Ep. 18: Samm Sacks On The US-China Data War, TikTok And EU Data Sovereignty
In this episode, I talk with Samm Sacks. She is a Cybersecurity Policy and China Digital Economy Fellow at New America. Her research focuses on emerging information and communication technology (ICT) policies globally, particularly in China. She has worked on Chinese technology policy issues for over a decade, both with the US government and in the private sector. She recently testified before Congress on data security issues between the US and China.
In this podcast we discuss:
(1) Why data flows matter
(2) Does the China government have access to all data in China
(3) How Chinese companies push back on data requests
(4) Are US tech firms helping the Chinese government?
(5) The right approach for the US dealing with China tech/data issues
(6) US companies need to manage US data better too
(7) EU is creating global standards
(8) EU is pushing back on US accessing European data
(9) Will US election impact US-China tech war?
For access to our Slack Chat Room, where we discuss all things markets with our researchers and subscribers