Macro Hive Conversations With Bilal Hafeez
Ep. 10: Alfonso Prat-Gay On How To Save Emerging Countries
In this episode, I talk with Alfonso Prat-Gay. He was Governor of the central bank of Argentina from 2002 to 2004 and later Argentina’s Finance Minister between 2015-2016. I had the pleasure of working under Alfonso during my JPMorgan days in the late 1990s, and I hold him up to be one of my most influential mentors. We also have a scoop about Alfonso and the Bank of England.
On the podcast, we cover a very wide range of topics including:
1. The pre-COVID global trends from the US’s incorrect policy mix to slowing Chinese growth
2. Why Latin America has struggled with growth for decades
3.Why COVID hurts the poor the most economically
4.How can emerging markets escape the middle-income trap
5. The challenges of being a policymaker in Latin America
6. The failure of the IMF
7. The lack of leadership in Latin America
8. The possibility of using QE by emerging markets
9. What the UK needs during Brexit
10. Argentina’s restructuring
The podcast is longer than normal, but it’s well worth the listen.
For access to our Slack Chat Room, where we discuss all things markets with our researchers and subscribers